Information and Broadcasting Ministry has issued an advisory on Advertisements on Online gaming, fantasy sports and others. The guidelines will be effective from the 15th of this month.
As per the guidelines
- No gaming advertisement may depict any person under the age of 18 years or who appears to be under the age of 18 engaged in playing a game of Online Gaming for Real Money Winnings or suggest that such person can play these games.
- Every such gaming advertisement must carry the disclaimer that this game involves an element of financial risk and may be addictive, so please play responsibly and at your own risk.
- Such a disclaimer should occupy no less than 20 per cent of the space in the advertisement.
- The advertisement should not present as an income opportunity or an alternative employment option.
- The advertisement should also not suggest that a person engaged in gaming activity is in any way more successful as compared to others.
Advertising Standards Council of India
- The Advertising Standards Council of India, established in 1985, is a self-regulatory voluntary organization of the advertising industry in India.
- It is a non-Government body.
- ASCI is committed to the cause of self- regulation in advertising ensuring the protection of the interest of consumers.
- ASCI seeks to ensure that advertisements conform to its Code for Self-Regulation, which requires advertisements to be legal, decent, honest and truthful and not hazardous or harmful while observing fairness in competition.
- ASCI looks into complaints across ALL MEDIA such as Print, TV, Radio, hoardings, SMS, Emailers, Internet / web-site, product packaging, brochures, promotional material and point of sale material etc.