- Viral infection (Henipavirus)
- The natural host of the virus are fruit bats of the Pteropodidae Family, Pteropus genus.
- Infect both human & animal
- Fatality rate – 50- 75%
- There is no vaccine available as of now
- First outbreak in 1998 (Kampung Sungai Nipah, Malaysia) isolated in 1999
- Transmission type – intermediate host (Pigs, 1998), Human to human (India Case), date palm sap etc.
- Twice outbreak specific to India – last report was in 2007 and now in May, 2018
- Symptoms varies from no symptoms to acute respiratory syndrome